www.flickr.com

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Our First Weekend Away

The trip to see the Pasha Bulker was a weekend event that included animals, hiking and our first try at driving on the “wrong side” of the road.

Friday night we rented a car and SAHF drove us up to Anna Bay which is about 3 hours North of Sydney. I left work a little early, but we still got stuck in gridlock trying to cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge. After a stop for dinner and several phone calls to the farm manager for directions (I had left the directions sitting on my desk at work), we made it to our destination in about 5 hours. SAHF did well driving even with my helpful “look out!” and “slow down!” interjections.

It a funny thing… we’ve noticed that when driving, we say left when we mean right and vice-versa. Also, the wind shield wiper control is on the opposite side. We keep turning on the wipers when we mean to turn on the directional. Another thing that was confusing me was the speed limit signs. On the highway the sign says “100” which I immediately think of as 100 mph, but it's really 100 km/h. 100 km/hour is only about 62 mph.

We stayed at a farmstay called Sahara Trails. This is a working horse farm with a few self contained units and one dorm/backpacker type of room. In our unit, we had two bedrooms (one queen bed, and one with bunk beds), a living room, a kitchen area, a full bathroom and a front porch. Outside our door was a community picnic area with a grill and beyond that was a horse paddock. I thought it was great, but it’s definitely rustic and not where you want to go if you are looking for luxury.

Due to the flooding the week before, the paddock looked more like a lake. I woke up early the first morning as the sun was coming up and was greeted with a peaceful scene of horses ambling along the fence of the paddock. I tried to get a picture of it, but it came out too dark. I’ve posted it below anyway.

Sahara Trails is run by a very nice family. They told us about a great hike at Tomaree National Park in Port Stephens. More about that tomorrow!

The first set of stairs was our unit - the one at the end of my shadow.


A horse at dawn. It's bending down eating something on the ground.
You'll just have to believe me that it was a great scene to wake up to!


One of the farm dogs that SPie LOVED:

No comments: